Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A lot going on this and last month

Strabo has been very sick. Back in November he came down with what I thought was a cold. This cold progressed to pneumonia really quickly. He was having trouble breathing and coughing a lot. Xrays showed a lot of fluid in/around the lungs. He was put on Antibiotics for a few weeks. After I think it was 3 or so weeks on the meds he had another Xray done. This showed the pneumonia was clearing up but oddly he did not get better. He was still coughing a lot.

I mentioned to the Vet it sounded like heart problems. They tried him on some heart pills and kept the antibiotics going. The heart pills really didnt seem to help much so we stopped them. Strabo started to get very weak and lethargic. He very rarely moved around and slept a lot. I was getting more and more worried about him.

I ended up planning a trip to NY state to see Tobias and was kind of worried about Strabo. Do I take him, do I leave him with ken... I took him into the vets one last time before I left to find out what I should do and the vet commented that strabo had been gaining a lot of weight and that this was not normal for a sick ferret. He should be losing it. So he did an ultrasound on him. It turns out his heart was in really bad shape. There was a lot of scar tissue on all the chambers. One chamber was kind of fluttering and that was what was keeping him alive. The lack of beating heart caused the fluids to back up into his tummy rather then be pumped through the body.

So the verdict turned out to be that he had Cardiomyopathy. They put him on vetmedin. The doctor said if it did not help him I may have to make a hard decision soon. Well I packed him up into his stroller in the car with Sirus and went off to see Tobias in NY.

It was not to bad of a drive. I left at about 10 am and got there at something like 7pm. It took a little longer then normal because of the snow and stopping to let sirus pee and such. It was quite the welcome. I got there lights were flashing and the whole area was abuzz with people. Sherie, Tobias's mother was on the way to the hospital. She had surgery a while back and the wonderful medical system let her out without making sure she had her medication. Blood retards.

Once we got inside Ed (Tobias's Dad) took Strabo over and instantly fell in love with him. I was kind of worried about getting strabo back. There was a bit of a pary on new years eve and we had a couple of drinks. I got to meet a lot of Tobias's family. An interesting but wonderful group of people. We spent the weekend watching movies and playing games. I brought my guitar hero with me and got Tobias to try it. The monster did a thousand times better then I did on my first time. It was depressing LOL.

During this time Strabo was getting stronger and stronger. It was great, he started complaining about being in the cage and wanting to play a lot more. I was so happy that he was getting better.

Ed made us some of the best stroganoff in the world. I got the reciepy but I pouted a lot when I lost it. I will have to get it again.

When I took Strabo back to the vets after returning from NY the vet said strabo was doing great. He does not have to return for a checkup for 8 weeks. He lost 5 oz of fluid that had backed up into his tummy from his heart not beating right. Thats a lot of weight for a little guy. He was back down to 2 pounds 14 oz.

No comments: